Small Change: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted Summary & Response

In the reading “Small Change: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted,” Malcolm Gladwell discusses the brave act of four college students and their act of social activism. Four freshmen from a nearby black college sat down at a lunch counter near Greensboro, North Carolina and were denied service because of their race. The four students refused to leave and eventually moved outside the restaurant and started a protest. The story of the students and their protest quickly spread and people from different states started to join the four boys in a sit-in. The story of the four students was done without the use of any social network. Gladwell discussed the strength of this sit-in because of the relationship between the students. Another issue discussed by Gladwell was the communication style in Iran. There was a protest against the communist government and the knowledge of this was later received through the social network Twitter. The Idea Gladwell explained, was that in order to get something by such a statement or the revolution in Iran, than you need a relationship and the same goal with the people you are connecting with.

I agree with Gladwell and his ideals of social networking. I believe that social networks are a great way to find others that you have a lot in common with. Social networks are a way to interact with others and explore the web to find people with same interests. However, I do believe when people can interact one-on-one with someone they have a lot in common with, the connection is much stronger than any network site.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 1: Small Change: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Small Change: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted Summary & Response

1. Laura Peterson says:

I agree with your post, especially with the point about the connections. People can say anything they want online and no one would know if they were lying or not. So when it comes to important issues like taking a stand on a controversial issue it would not be good to turn solely to the internet. A revolution will be started by real people in the real world who are not scared of the possible consequences, not by the people who cause problems online anonymously behind the safety of their computer desks.

2. Laura Berlin says:

I think that social networks are a great way to find and talk to people that like the same things that you do. However for a strong bond to be formed, people need to make a connection offline as well and meet face-to-face. There could be over a million people who like a page or cause on Facebook, but if the people who liked the cause or page do not interact and form a strong bond then nothing is going to change.

3. Trask Printz says:

I agree that Social networking is a good way to find people that you have things in common with. It is true that one-on-one connections are much stronger than any bonds that can be formed online. I feel that many other people need to understand this. Some people think that because 900 people like a page they have started on Facebook, the revolution has begun. When in reality, once interested people are found,the personal bonds need to be formed to make the spark to offset revolution.

4. Jalen Jackson says:

I strongly agree with you when you say that people who interact one-on-one have a stronger bond than people who interact on social networks. Respectfully, I do disagree with social networks being a good place to find people who have things in common with one another. I feel like people trust these social sites a little to much and it leads to violence. For example, people may post things on their personal page just to lure others in and then take advantage of them.