A Possible Solution to the James

Last week I defined the main problem with my social issue as the idea that Dominion Virginia Power wants to succeed in building power lines over the James River in a direct tourist spot, located essentially in Jamestown settlement. They are fighting adamantly on getting the permit to start building soon, and are only waiting for the State Corporation Commission (or SCC) to approve of it.

I am clearly against Dominion in the destination they have chosen to build the lines, but not the idea of building them itself. I know that the Virginia peninsula needs the new power upgrade due to the Yorktown station closing in 2015, and that without the new transmission line Dominion will not be up to governmental standards approaching summer 2015. The idea that they have chosen to mar the beauty of arguably Virginia’s most significant historical site without a second thought give me the impression that they don’t necessarily give a hoot what they mess up when they build, as long as it’s not at a disadvantage to them.

I feel that the SCC should choose to allow Dominion to build on the alternative route offered during the court trial. It’s a route that is significantly longer in length, and costs more, but it does not cut across the James nor is it really intruding though the historical portion of Virginia. Part of the route is attached to existing transmission towers, and cuts through to the Chickahominy switching station. This would be my primary solution regarding this issue, because it is currently the only alternative to the lines being built over the historical river.

In order to implement this solution, first, the SCC would have to vote in favor of it. Currently, there is a letter with new information submitted by the United States Department of the Interior causing a ruckus; Dominion does not want it to be considered in the final decision, whereas James City County, the primary group in opposition, is all for it. If the community could come together and help enforce that the new information should be used in consideration for the final decision, it may alter the potential choice that the council will agree upon.
If this were to be successful, Dominion would most likely attempt to appeal the decision, and other stakeholders would pop up depending on how the council framed the verdict. It would have potential viable points against the decision, such as the price or the effects of the new location. My argument is mostly value-based; I really just don’t want my historical sites to be ruined by industrialization and the presence of power lines crossing the most important river on the East Coast.

Works Cited:

“Document List For Case Number : PUE-2012-00029.”SCC Docket Search. State Corporation Commission, 25 Oct.

2013. Web. 1 Nov 2013. <http://docket.scc.state.va.us/CyberDocs/Libraries/Default_Library/Common/frameviewdsp.asp?doc=133193&lib=CASEWEBP_LIB&mimetype=application/pdf&rendition=native>.