Blog 5: Interviews

Preparing for an interview can be extremely daunting. However, with enough knowledge and preparation, they can be made less stressful for the interviewee. Here are some questions I could imagine an interviewer asking a teacher candidate:

“What is your teaching philosophy?”

This is a slightly scary question, as there is not one correct answer. This varies from person to person, and is extremely personal. I do believe, however, that the interviewee should have a prepared, coherent answer to this question. It would look bad to stumble for an answer if you were asked this.

“What interests you about our district?”

In order to answer this, you would at least have to be familiar with the district. Knowing the contextual factors of the district would be a necessity in order to answer this question.

“Tell me a little bit about yourself.”

While not technically a question, I could foresee this being one of the first things the interviewer says.  It is a little daunting, because I would not want to give too much information for fear of boring them. On the other hand, I would not want to be too short, and not give the interviewer all of the information they desire.

“What can you bring to our school?”

This is another question that has multiple acceptable answers. This questions worries me because I would not want to give an answer they hear all the time. How could I sound unique without overdoing it?