Many of us are aware of Canvas’ calendar feature which offers a filtered display of course deadlines. The calendar can be access from the horizontal blue global navigation bar at the top of the screen (see below).
Additional information about the Canvas calendar can be found in the Canvas Guides, here: student perspective; instructor perspective. What you may not know, however, is that you can arrange to receive reminder notifications for upcoming deadlines. This post will detail how you can accomplish this task by integrating your Canvas calendar with your Google calendar. Though this post will not offer instruction, you can integrate your Canvas calendar with iOS and/or Outlook calendars as well. Reminders will need to then be established within the respective calendar.
- Go to your calendar in Canvas and click on “Calendar Feed” on the right-hand side of your screen.
- This will open a new, small window containing a link to your individual calendar feed. Copy the link and then access your Google calendar.
- Under “Other Calendars” on the left-hand side, click on the drop down arrow and select “Add by URL”. The events on your Canvas calendar will now be on your Google Calendar.
- To set up notifications/reminders, click the drop down arrow for the new calendar (your Canvas feed) and select “Calendar settings”.
- Go to the “Edit Notifications” tab and click on “Add a Notification”.
- Here is where you can select when you want to be notified of assignments on your calendar, and how you’d like to receive notification (email or a popup notification).
Now you should be set up to receive Google calendar alerts for any upcoming assignments in your Canvas calendar. If you have any difficulty replicating the steps provided in this post, please don’t hesitate to contact us.