WebEx is an interactive educational app that allows users to participate in online meetings and provides convenient features such as interactive and shared screen options. Users will be allowed to invite participants, present content and interact through audio and visual displays in such a way that simulates the typical classroom environment. An additional benefit is that meeting attendees are able to join without having an account with WebEx; the meeting host is the only individual who is required to have an account. Longwood University has a license agreement with WebEx and can create accounts for current faculty and staff.
This post will review the ways in which users can use the app to schedule (and record), start, and participate in a meeting. These directions, and accompanying screenshots, are specific to Apple mobile devices as we have many iPads available for loan.
For users with a host account and/or to sign into the WebEx app:
- To sign in you will enter the user information, specific to WebEx, provided to you by the DEC.
- Once signed in you will see a screen similar to the one below. On the left-hand side of the screen you can view the calendar of scheduled meetings. You can also schedule a meeting from this screen.
- Near the middle of the screen you may notice a little box with a plus sign. When you tap on this box you will be given the ability to either start a meeting instantly or schedule a meeting.
- If you select “schedule”, you will have the ability to identify the name, time and date of the meeting as well as invite people and create a password.
- To select a date and time, touch the “Start/Duration” box. When satisfied with your conditions, tap “Save” in the top right-hand corner of that box.
- Tap on “Invitees” to invite people to your meeting. You will be prompted to give WebEx access to your device’s contacts. If you deny access, you will still have the ability to manually enter email addresses of your invitees. Tap the blue “+” button to add invitees to your meeting.
- You have the ability to add a password, which users will be required to enter, to join the meeting.
- When you first start a meeting, you will see the screen below.
- To show video, tap on the camera icon (looks like a square with a triangle immediately next to it) to the right-hand side of the screen. You will be prompted to allow WebEx access to your camera. In order to join the meeting with your video feed enabled, you must allow WebEx access to your camera. Denying WebEx access to your camera does not prohibit you from viewing the video feeds of other attendees. If you choose to allow WebEx to your camera, your video will appear at the bottom of the window.
- You are able to view the meeting’s participants by tapping the person icon (to the right of the camera icon). Within this view, you will be able to chat with presenters and/or participants.
- To participate verbally, you will need to share audio by tapping on the microphone icon near the center of the screen (to the right of the meeting’s title). You will be prompted to allow WebEx access to your device’s microphone. If you deny access, you will not be able to participate in the meeting with audio.
- Meeting hosts are able to record from the app; participants are unable to record meetings. To record the meeting, tap on the 3 horizontal dots on the far right-hand side of the screen and touch “record” to begin.
- To share content with meeting attendees, the host can tap on the green “Share Content” button in the center of the screen or tap on the small box with an up arrow on the left-hand side of the screen. Either method will open a list of options from which content can be shared.
To join a meeting:
- Tap on “Join Meeting” instead of “Sign In”.
- Enter the meeting number, which would have been shared with you previously (most often via email), your name and your email address.
- Then provide the meeting password – also found in the meeting information shared with you in advance.
To ensure that your microphone and video camera are available to WebEx:
- Enter the settings on your mobile device.
- Scroll all the way down until you see “WebEx” on the left-hand side of your screen and tap it. On the right half of the screen you will see whether or not WebEx has access to your device’s contacts, microphone and camera. You can edit permissions as necessary.
If you have any difficulty replicating the steps detailed in this post, please don’t hesitate to contact us.