«

»

Feb 10

King Amiyah Himself (or Herself)?

Social Networking Sites

Twitter and Instagram icons

Social networking sites have become very popular. I personally engage in Twitter and Instagram the most. One day I came across the the Instagram page of King Amiyah, also known as Amiyah Scott and her twitter account. She often talks about how you should be yourself and not listen to negativity. I had seen her pictures on other social networking sites in the past as well. It was usually a picture of her when she was a little boy and her now as a beautiful woman. It was also often used to show that guys can look just like a woman if they wanted to and to prove that you can not tell sometimes when a boy turns into a girl.

When I stumbled across Amiyah’s page it made me immediately think of my Gender and Communication class. I decided to do further research on her and I discovered quite a bit of information about Amiyah who once was Arthur.

The picture I saw in the past.

About Amiyah Scott
When I was searching for more information on Amiyah I came across the same article on different sites. It talks about how Amiyah is a transgender. She is known for having relationships with famous men.
But not just men, “downlow” men. Which is a term that is used for men who mess with other men but hide it. She also is known for Ballroom dancing.
Amiyah talks about how when she was little she saw other girls hit puberty and she wanted to have what they had, female body parts and be like them. In Gendered Lives, by Dr. Julia T Wood she writes that, the social learning theory is a passive learning process by which individuals “learn to be masculine or feminine by imitating others and getting responses from others to their behaviors.” Passive learning process is when you learn how to be masculine or feminine by doing what you see other people do and their reactions they get back from it and that’s what she did. So she loves the woman she has become.

//

//

4 comments

Skip to comment form

1. Jada Gregory

you are so freaking pretty & all woman get gurl (:

2. Stephanie

Wow I just found this out myself …

3. Lauren Ginder

Hey Devontia!

Wow, Amiyah not only makes me think of Social Learning Theory but I feel that she is a really great example of the Queer theory! She really pushes our societies ideas of gender and recognizing that she was once a boy is really important. The Queer theory explains gender as a flexible rather than a fixed idea, that gender can be easily moved around. Amiyah is a great example of this, she plays with the fact that she used to be a boy to spread awareness and acceptance of her new identity.

The Queer theory is really an amazing theory, it reinforces our thinking that not everything is quite as it seems. Sometimes we must dig deeper into a situation in order to see it for what it really is.

Thank you for your post!
    -Lauren Ginder

4. Darrien Drummond

I find it interesting that Amiyah Scott chooses to call herself “King Amiyah” instead of “Queen Amiyah.” I think this is a prime example of how gender varies and it is up to us as individuals to pick and choose who we want to be and what we want to be. Amiyah definitely takes a spin on mixing both masculine and feminine attributes.

Besides Social Learning Theory, I think cognitive development theory could also be easily applied here. Dr. Julia T. Wood in Gendered Lives states that cognitive development theory “assumes that children play active roles in developing their gender identities.” In a nut shell, cognitive development theory highlights the fact that children have some sense of who they are and who they want to be (referring to gender), therefore they find role models to assist them in learning more about their corresponding gender. For example, you stated that from a young age Amiyah saw young girls going through puberty and that’s what she wanted. Those girls were role models to Amiyah, although she, then he, did not actually go through puberty as a female she wanted to and those young girls still held influence over her and were catalyst for creating the person she is today.