Just another Longwood Blogs sitePosts RSS Comments RSS

An example of classroom rules and what I would send home to parents.

For students:

1: Do not be a jerk. (A classic catch-all rule. Pretty much anything a student can do that would be considered disruptive would be covered by this rule.)
2: If you have a question about what you are doing ask that question. (This encourages students to ask questions about what they are doing to help comprehension.)

For me:

1: Do not assign unnecessary work. (This helps assure students that all work given is meaningful.)
2: Punishments will not be given to the whole class unless the whole class participated. (This prevents situations where a teacher would do things like give extra homework for one student misbehaving.)

And the Email:

Dear parent or guardian:

I am excited to be teaching your young adult in my class this coming school year. While I do not yet know them personally I can only be excited when looking forward to the coming classes. It is my belief that every student has the opportunity to gain something out of an English class regardless of their future path.

Now, on the matter of you and me. I will respond far faster to Email than texts or calls, and will often check it during the day between classes. Every day after school and again before I go to bed I will make a point to sit down and respond to every Email I receive in the order I get them. While it may take a bit to reply I will respond as soon as I can. If you wish to call me do so after school hours until 7 P.M, but a prompt reply is not guaranteed.

Together we can make sure that your young adult gets the most out of my class, wherever they may be going in life.

Daniel Beecher

Cell: 703-943-9121

Email: Daniel.Beecher@live.longwood.edu

No responses yet