Social Media and Advertisements

Social media consumes has begun to consume our lives.  Facebook and Twitter are so accessible with the current technology. Applications on iPhones and Droids make navigating social media sites very convenient. Social media is defined as digital applications that allow people from all over the world to have ongoing conversations, share stories and interests, and generate their own media content. Just as social media changes on a day to day basis, so do the ways companies advertise. Think about it, if there are more than 500 million users on Facebook, why wouldn’t advertisers promote there product where there is a substantial audience? Ads promoted through Facebook can be controversial because there are many people worldwide on one site.

Recently Dr Pepper had one of the most controversial ads on Facebook. It shows an ape in the “pre-pepper” stage, a semi-evolved man in the “pepper discovery”, and a man in “post-pepper” stage. Many consumers (Facebook users) were outraged because Dr Pepper is calling into question the theory of evolution. Most consumers do not like that corporations are putting their faith into question and personally I am not a big fan of it either. I believe there are many other ways to advertise without bringing up controversial topics; Dr Pepper’s advertisement prompts questions about consumer’s morals and beliefs. These types of advertisement can be abrasive and offensive.

Ad link

Controversial advertising continues to warp social values. This raises another interesting question: are we to believe that every person that works for Dr Pepper shares the same beliefs regarding evolution? If the consumer makes this assumption, are they wrong? This brings up a lot of question as to how much one should really read into advertisements. Did Dr Pepper choose to use this advertisement because they are under the belief that most of the targeted consumers would be familiar with the theory of evolution? I for one believe that consumers as a whole should be conscious of advertisements as well as seek to understand what we endorse by purchasing the product promoted by these large companies.

-Megan Kearney

4 thoughts on “Social Media and Advertisements

1. Callie Fuller says:

Megan, I agree that this may have been a harsh step on Dr. Peppers side. They did pull a very controversial debate in today’s society. I don’t believe that their intentions were to make people question their beliefs/religion. I believe it was more of the idea that a person who hasn’t tried Dr. Pepper is unknowning, a young form a species. While a person who has tried Dr. Pepper and consumes it on a general basis is smarter and more evolved. The reason I believe no insults were intentionally placed is because why would a company insult a good portion of their customers? They would want to promote their product, not people hate it.

2. Michael Williams says:

I agree with you completely on this topic. For one thing, advertisers need to think and take a second look at their potential ads before they launch them on social media or any kind of media for that matter. Especially with sites like Facebook with over 500 million users, there are sure to be people who have a lot to say about big corporations bringing their faith into the ads they use. I also think you’re right in asking whether or not Pepsi targeted people who new what the Theory of Evolution was. They had to know. If not, people wouldn’t understand the ad at all. But consumers really need to start paying more attention to what companies are throwing their way ad wise.

3. Lindsay Statler says:

Megan I really liked your break down on the Dr Pepper advertisement. I agree that advertisement companies can come up with tons of other ways to advertise without bringing up consumer’s morals and beliefs. I think company’s need to understand that there are many different points of view towards religion and beliefs. You would think they would know this by now with media being such a huge part of daily life since the fifteenth century. It does raise the question if we are to believe that all of Dr Pepper and its workers share the same belief of evolution. Someone had to think of the advertisement for it to be put to use so it does make one wonder. I know personally I didn’t think much about the advertisement; however, I think I’m going to pay more attention to the messages behind the products I purchase from now on.

4. Lindsay Statler says:

Megan I really liked your break down on the Dr Pepper advertisement. I agree that advertisements can come up with tons of other ways to advertise without bringing up consumer’s morals and beliefs. I think company’s need to understand that there are many different points of view towards religion and beliefs. You would think that would know this by now with media being such a huge part of daily life since the fifteenth century. It does raise the question if we are to believe that all of Dr Pepper and its workers share the same belief of evolution. Someone had to think of the advertisement for it to be put to use so it does make one wonder. I know personally I didn’t think much about the advertisement; however, I think I’m going to pay more attention to message behind the products I purchase from now on.