Communication Studies Internship: Journal 5

I think my Organizational Communication class was extremely beneficial to helping me develop a set of skills that I use on a regular basis, within my current internship and the internship I completed in the UK. Overall, that class helped me to understand the ways that organizations work and what is most effective when you find yourself working for an organization. This class was also very blog intensive, which gave me the opportunity to familiarize myself with blogging platforms. It also helped me develop an understanding for the types of audiences you can reach through blogging and helped me form good habits when trying to blog professionally.

Another class that really helped me prepare for this internship and my other internship was my Public Relations Writing class. This class taught me how to write strong Press Releases, Backgrounders, and how to reach the right audiences. Knowing how to write different types of releases including PSA’s and proposals has added to my skill set. Knowing how to write to inform has helped me with blogging and knowing how to write to persuade has helped me write proposals and PSA’s, both of which have been required in my internship.

The third class that helped me going in to my internship was a Public Relations Campaigns class. This class helped me to understand the importance of knowing your organization and how a company may vary your style of writing. Knowing your organization and what their goals are has allowed me to write good pieces during my internship and appeal to the right audiences. Also, being able to write in different styles is crucial because adaptability is a handy trait to have. Whether it is various releases for one company or writing for different people within an organization, it is important to know the company’s voice and their vision.