Corporate Dishonesty Honesty versus the Bottom Line

Online Identity Reflection

My online social media presence has evolved over the years and has gradually become a better representation of the real me and my academic identity. At the inception of my first social media (Facebook) in 2009, I was 13-years-old. My posts and pictures were not at all professional as they were often excessive, vague, and lacked punctuation. As I have grown and learned more about myself and what my online social media says about me, I have become much better at illustrating my real self and academic identity as a young professional in online social media. My recent activity on social media reflects many more similarities and less differences than it did in the earlier years of my social media use.

In my early years of social media, I exclusively used Facebook. Reading through my old posts from the view of an outside audience member I see multiple differences from what my online identity portrays and the real life present-day me. These online differences include a lack of attention to detail, a poor work ethic, and a sense of self-centeredness. My lack of attention to detail can be seen in all of my posts for the first year or two as they include things like simple spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors. Studying accounting and having a mind for numbers I pride myself on my attention to detail and can’t believe that I wrote like that knowing others would see it. Another recurring theme that I see reflected in my posts is a bad work ethic. A good amount of my posts include talking about not wanting to do something or complaining about activities like mowing the lawn, babysitting, and school. While these still are not my favorite tasks, it reflects poorly upon myself to write things such as “ughhh have to mow the lawn” or “only 12 dollars for babysitting” (Gardner, 2009) and is something that I would be embarrassed about today. This is because I have become a firm believer that you get out of your work what you put into it and that some of the hardest tasks are the most rewarding. The last big difference I see when reading through my old social media posts is that I seem to come off as very self-centered and focused on myself. While I realize that my Facebook should contain a lot of posts about me, many of my status updates are bragging or searching for recognition from others. I also see a focus on myself in my comments on my own and other’s profiles that include responses like “whatever doesn’t matter to me” or “nah I don’t feel like it right now” (Gardner, 2009) when talking about a subject that doesn’t directly concern me or when being asked a favor. These are things that I would never say in an academic atmosphere or even when talking to friends or peers in everyday conversation. Today I really enjoy having a positive impact on and helping people in whatever way possible. When making decisions I try to look at it from a third person perspective and how my decisions affect not only me but how they might affect others as well. These depictions from my early social media use certainly do not portray who I am academically and in real life and I would not want somebody to make an opinion about me based on that information.

My recent social media is a much better representation of my academic self, especially after I created my LinkedIn profile. While I do not use social media that frequently now the things I do post offer a much more accurate picture of the real me and my academic life. This also reflects me as I tend to be a more reserved and quiet person in my everyday life. Most of my Facebook activity involves me “liking” other people posts or pages that I find interesting or funny. Most of the content of the posts I like involve people doing good in their community or big achievements in my family and friends’ lives. This shows the real me and the love and support I have for my family and friends. Academically, liking “do-it-yourself” videos and videos explaining how things are made shows my interest in fully understanding how a process works and everything that goes on “behind the scenes” with different products and companies. My LinkedIn profile also offers an accurate professional snapshot of me. My profile picture shows me in a professional environment and my profile reflects what I aspire to be professionally and what I have accomplished academically. It shows me as a young professional student pursuing a career in accounting and even reflects what businesses and companies I like or that I think are doing good things for their community or the industry. I believe that somebody looking at my recent activity on social media, specifically LinkedIn and Facebook, can get a fairly accurate picture of me and my academic identity.

My online identity that people will see over the past year or so does a good job showing who I am and my academic identity. Overall, my social media will positively affect my future civic and professional identity because it portrays me as a hard-working student with many different intellectual interests including accounting. My recent social media gives potential employers or connections a chance to see who I am professionally and my professional and personal interests with the click of a few buttons. This provides a platform for me to connect with other professionals and individuals with similar interests and expand my professional network. While my online identity provides multiple positives for my future there are also multiple negatives. If an employer and other individual were to look back into my social media, specifically Facebook, they may see posts and comments that do not portray an accurate picture of who I am today or my academic identity. I would hope that people would not judge or make an opinion based on social media posts from my early teenage years. Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives concerning how my online identity through social media will affect my future professional and civic identity.

Gardner, B. (2009). Re: Ben Gardner's Facebook [Web log comment]. Retrieved December 20, 2017, from

Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)