About Me

Hello fellow bloggers, my name is Amanda Nurmi. I am majoring in Communication Studies with a mass media concentration, was born and raised in Fairfax, Virginia and I am a sophomore at Longwood University. I am a recent member of Alpha Phi Omega, Longwood’s service fraternity. I will have a minor in Graphic Design along with my Communications degree and would like to apply my studies to the world of advertising and create logos or slogans for a children’s toy company.

Looking back on my childhood, one major pop culture phenomena was AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). I remember countless days chatting on AIM, whether I was hanging out with my friends, trying to “flirt” with a crush, or asking the AIM computer, Smart Child, pointless questions. AIM was our main source of communication in middle school, and the most popular “must have”. Having an instant messenger account made you look like a somebody, and kept you in the loop. My parents were never huge fans of AIM, mostly because I spent all my time on it, but they had only one rule, never talk to a person I did not know. Teachers would also stress the importance of online predators in their lesson plans, once they were updated on the latest social topic. Looking back on AIM, I compare it to Facebook and how AIM was one of the beginnings to social media. Today on Facebook, we are able to not only chat with our friends, but also post pictures and play games. AIM opened up many doors to connecting and socializing with friends.

Tagged

One thought on “About Me

1. Jessica Beardsley says:

I was addicted to using AIM when I was in middle school! All the “cool” kids had it, and everyone has to follow the cool kids, right? That and MySpace were the things to have. AIM really opened the doors to technological advances in communication though. And looking at MySpace and Facebook and other socially connecting sites, they have all incorporated a variation of AIM by calling it “chat” or “messaging”. It also started the trend of being able to send and receive information at a new fast rate, which now makes people impatient when someone does not respond to a text message or “chat” message immediately; and we wonder if they are mad at us or blowing us off. In a way we can thank AIM for opening those doors, but we can also blame it for the need to be constantly connected 24/7.