About Amanda

Hello fellow bloggers, my name is Amanda Nurmi. I am majoring in Communication Studies with a mass media concentration, was born and raised in Fairfax, Virginia and I am a sophomore at Longwood University. I am a recent member of Alpha Phi Omega, Longwood’s service fraternity. I will have a minor in Graphic Design along with my Communications degree and would like to apply my studies to the world of advertising and create logos or slogans for a children’s toy company.

One of my experiences using communication skills was in my Media and Society class; I had to apply what I have learned in public speaking to properly teach the class a specific critical issue. It was important to use sufficient eye contact, appropriate language, and to convey the message in a manor the audience can understand. I have also worked at a summer day care for three years, and had a chance to use my communication skills at it’s fullest. It was important to know how to communicate to the children in a way they can understand, which helped me relate to them. If things started to become chaotic, I would have to be quick on my feet and know how to redirect their attention to receive cooperation. It was also crucial to have good communicative skills with my co-worker and my boss to make sure we are all on the same page.

Tagged